Pages

Saturday 21 January 2012

A new life begins....


In another desert somewhere.....

Well that’s it. Last Saturday was the completion of thirty-two years, 2 months, 2 weeks and a day (- which is about 11,760 days if my maths is correct).  That is how long I have served my Queen and Country in the Royal Air Force and now I have become a “Mr”. 
In the jungle of Belize

It is a time to reflect on the past.  A time to remember all those adventures and opportunities that the RAF has given me, all those events that have made me the person I am today and also all those things that I have missed out on because of the commitment that the military expects of those serving their country (despite the effect it may have on their personal lives). I do not think those that have not served in the military can really, fully understand just how far reaching that commitment is.
But that is the past:
"Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only for wallowing in." 
- Katherine Mansfield
So after one last glance back, it is now time to look forward and to shape my own destiny.

I was lucky enough to get a flight in a Harrier

Princess Anne checks I'm cleaning my rifle correctly
Showing Prince Phillip around the Rapier missile system in the Falklands
Somewhere in Sierra Leone there is a boy called Steve, after I managed to get his mother to hospital in time to give birth

Chucking aircrew in the sea was always fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for supporting my blog and for your comment/message.