Pages

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Go small, go simple, go now.


Sometimes I get the impression that time slows down.  As the retirement light in my tunnel gets bigger, it seems to be approaching at a slower and slower pace.....but at least it is still coming in the right direction and I suppose it’s just important to remember that. 
With most of my sailing courses now complete I continue to read and build my knowledge of all things nautical.  For those of you also interested in sailing you will have no doubt heard of the Pardeys, a legendary couple who have sailed the world on a limited budget, keeping their boat simple and basic and therefore having fewer problems to deal with whilst on their travels.
As well as the many excellent books written by the Pardeys, I would also recommend the book I am currently reading; ‘Simple Sailing: A Different Approach to a Life of Adventure’ by Connie McBride.   A gem that is full of useful information and common sense tips for those that want to escape the rat race or who have a dream similar to mine:
“Life is all about choices: choose to cruise extravagantly for a year, or sail simply for a lifetime”
Or from Lyn Pardey:
“Go small, go simple, go now”
“Don’t wait until you “have enough money”.  However much you have right now is enough, if you go small and simply.  Don’t wait for the promotion, the real estate market to be favorable, your stocks to go up, or even for the boat to be done.  If you have to wait for conditions to be perfect, you will probably never go and probably never want to.  There are thousands of would-be cruisers.”
“The boat will never be done.  She is not a painting to be signed at her completion;  she is an ever-changing entity who will always require more.  Besides, until you go sailing you won’t know the difference between what you and your boat need and what the manufacturers say you do.”
It all makes sense to me............although there are some things worth waiting for.............

Is that the light at the end of the tunnel behind me?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for supporting my blog and for your comment/message.